Why Giving My Son ‘A Girl’s Doll’ Is One Of The Best Gifts Ever

Posted on Dec 7 2013 - 10:05pm by megganmamma

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Where I grew up, in Zimbabwe, girls were given dolls to play with and boys were given cars.  I can remember my mother telling me a story about how when she was a little girl she swapped her dolls for the neighbour’s son’s cars and what a big deal was made of it.

Anyway, when Joshi and I first went to Steiner  playgroup together, in one of the corners of the room lay quite a few dolls, each in their own cradle with their own blankets.  It was very beautiful and obviously someone had arranged them there with a lot of love and care.   After a couple of sessions the teacher told us we’d be making a very simple doll for our child using pink cloth and stuffing it with wool.  Immediately I thought, “What about the boys?”  Of course the dolls were for all the kids.  I realised how conditioned my mind had become over the years, how I automatically assumed that the boys wouldn’t be getting dolls.

And now, when I think about it, it makes so much sense to me.  I mean, why wouldn’t you give a boy a doll?  And why shouldn’t the doll wear pink? I think where I was raised parents did what they thought they needed to to ensure their boys turned into ‘manly’ men, whatever than means!   Boys weren’t supposed to cry or play with dolls or show their feelings much because it was considered girly and weak.  It was what was happening around me as kid, and I never even gave it a second thought, but when I think about it now, it’s outrageous.  Boys should be allowed to cry as much as they need to. They should be given dolls and they certainly should be made to feel that it’s good and healthy to express their emotions rather than bottle them up inside.

There are so many benefits to giving a boy a doll.  A doll gives a boy an opportunity to  imitate the behavior of his carers as he nurtures and cares for another little “person,” someone smaller and needier than himself.   All those nurturing and loving qualities in him come out.  Those qualities don’t make him into a sissy, they make him into a deeper, more connected, more sensitive human being.  In this day and age men often play a major part in child-rearing, so they may as well start getting used to it from the very beginning, right?  I’ve heard mothers say how their sons were really quite rough and rowdy in their play, but when they were playing with dolls they often become really soft and gentle.  Playing with dolls didn’t take away their more masculine qualities.

So last week I bought Joshi (now 19 months) a lovely handmade doll. Yes its a girl doll and she’s dressed in a lovely pink woolen dress.  I got it for him for Christmas but was too excited to wait another 3 weeks and gave it to him straight away. He was so thrilled and delighted.  He couldn’t stop laughing as he held her and carried her around the apartment.  As soon as he got her he went into caring mode – putting her into bed, tucking her in and giving her cuddles, putting her in the bath, giving her a drink, etc.  It was just the cutest thing to watch.  When I asked him what her name was he said, ‘Baba’.  Now I’m totally converted on this one … I really think parents ought to make a conscious point of giving their sons dolls.  It’s awesome.  Agree?  Disagree?  Leave a comment below.

Chances are you came across this on Facebook or some other social media – If you found it interesting or helpful, please click like or share.

5 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Jackie Shave December 7, 2013 at 11:21 am -

Beautiful Megs I am100% with you on this

2. Jane December 7, 2013 at 11:44 pm -

I totally agree and am so happy to read this. Good for you.

Children only learn and copy us and if we make a big deal of sexuality or colour then our kids learn this and it becomes a big deal.

At Sukie’s school they have boy and girl dolls (genitals and all) & she loves the brown boy doll in particular. (she is doll mad and very motherly but always chooses this doll at school) the only thing that surprised me was when she started talking about a “peepee” & then pointing at dandys peepee and checking me to see if i have one. I was bit taken aback because i did not expect it at 18 months but we just rolled with it and explained about boys and girls being different. When i saw her with the boy doll at school i put 2&2 together and am actually really pleased that the school are cool about it too. Sukie also has “boy” toys – cars, trains etc and she plays with all!!

3. Katharina Logan December 7, 2013 at 2:17 pm -

Ah this is so timely for us! Izzy has recently become attached to a teddy which is sweet. I remember always wanting cars and stuff the boys got. I still love cars! 🙂 my mum (a Steiner teacher for about the last 30 years) has apparently been making our little boy a doll for Christmas! She always made mine, the traditional ‘Steiner’ doll (or the doll with “no eyes” as my dad used to call them. She makes dolls usually mirroring the child, so with similar hair and eye colour, tall or petite, etc. I’m very interested to see if he likes it. My husband doesn’t really get it and has the typical “boys don’t play with dolls” reaction, but given Izzy’s recent attachment to Teddy Bear, as he has been named, perhaps there won’t be such a big leap to appreciating what might be gained from having a doll.
    Thanks Meggan, this is lovely, so gorgeous to see Joshi loving his doll so sweetly! 🙂

4. Megganmamma December 7, 2013 at 9:55 pm -

I’m excited for your son on Christmas Day Katharina Logan. I’d surprised if that’s not one of his favourite gifts. Would love to hear how it goes.

I love the idea of mirroring the child through the doll. I’ve not heard of that before. Nice.

5. Rich Victoria February 25, 2014 at 2:42 am -

I have to agree with you that boys should be encouraged at a young age that expressing emotion is ok and natural. I’m 25 and it took my current girlfriend the first 3 years of our relationship to break down my emotional walls to get me to open up. Even though my parents encouraged opening up and crying is ok, my friends were raised opposite and so of course I followed suit.

Great article and very interesting points.